Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Is it True I can spread my wings?

Meanwhile, in one eastern Carolina town, the obsession with Abba’s “The Eagle” resurges with a fresh energy and passion. The colors of that passion are shimmery, shining purple and gold, the colors featured in a 1977 video for the song my roommate, Carmelita, sent to me. And yes, my god, is it ever dull, but you’ve got to remember: this was pre-MTV, pre-Janet Jackson dancing in the streets shoulder-to-shoulder with all the townsfolk, pre-Twisted Sister guy showing up in your bedroom to lay down the law.
Before all that, there were people lip-synching, joyous, into a camera. And excellent T-shirts.

So of course I emailed it straightaway to Marshall, who shares my embarrassing love of many things Abba, who in fact was the person to correct me on the chorus of “Take a Chance on Me” as we painted his bathroom and I sang along, loud and characteristically unheeding of modesty. “Alice, it’s ‘when the pretty birds have flown”.
Oh. Not “would it really hurt, so call!’” I blame the Swedish. I can enunciate just fine.

Anyway, back to the important thing—our “Eagle” emails.

Alice:
Okay, so, for the best moment, go to 2:52-ish, and check out Non-Bjorn’s facial expression. It’s all “I can’t believe I’m in this freaking video.”

Marshall:
I swear, Frida was about to eat that psychedelic eagle flying around in front of her mouth.

Did you see their outfits? You can’t tell until the end, but one is wearing a shiny, shiny shirt with a huge bunny on it, and the other is wearing a coyote shirt not to dissimilar to yours. Well, maybe a bit more polyester.
Glorious.

Alice:
Yes; their shirts basically rule. And it looks like there’s a video for “The Name of the Game,” too, but I haven't watched it yet. I'm saving it for a special occasion. Then again, it’ll probably be some variant of blonde lady and brunette lady singing and the less-attractive Bjorn and not-Bjorn coming in every now and then, n-B trying not to laugh.

You know, I think Bjorn is to me what Orson Welles was to the girls in Heavenly Creatures. "It." He’s so repugnant to me and always has been.

Marshall:
If you didn't know they were named Agnetha and Anni-Frid, you might well think they were office workers from St. Paul. Shiny, shiny office workers telling magical tales in front of their mesmerizing disco ball.

Also, “Eagle” is not much of a disco song. How do you categorize something like that? Pseudo-mystic Swedish synthesizer pop? Could any other band have produced this song?

My favorite line from the YouTube description:
“Eagle” did not perform that well in the charts.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home