Friday, October 26, 2007

Hiya, Henshaw.
Here in Beachtown it hadn’t rained in weeks and months and we’re still sleeping with our fans and air conditioners turned on us full-blast as we push away covers and cats and significant others. Still sweating. It’s October, for God’s sake.

Then this week, we finally get rain. And that’s good, but now all is tropical rain forest. The humidity caused us to drink beer sluggishly last night as we attempted a jolly show of pumpkin carving out on the veranda. But this was not pumpkin carving weather. Hell, we squirmed and perspired at lighting the candles inside the finished jack-o-lanterns. Before that, we had to flee indoors when a swarm of flying cockroaches descended mid-carve, attracted by the sweet pumpkin meat, I guess, seeking a nest in my hair, for sure.

The weather caused me to go off on a long tangent to my class today about Disney World and about Florida and how odd it is to plant this artificial shopping-mall environment smack dab in the middle of what’s basically a swamp and meanwhile it was becoming increasingly swamplike in the classroom. I was using my cellphone to keep track of time and the screen fogged over. I let them out early.

Tonight there’s a Halloween party at the old mansionhouse and we’re looking forward to running makeup and more sweat. Actually, I am excited about my costume even though much of it consists of thick polyester. My friend is Bad Cop, I am Good. She has fake tattoos and a scary nightstick; I have pamphlets on volcano safety and sugar-free candy to distribute. Also a jaunty hat. Mainly, the jaunty hat. And the volcano safety.
Happy early Halloween from under the sea, folks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home