Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Fabulous Destiny -!
Last night I had two friends over for supper. While I was buzzing around getting ready, cleaning the bathroom counter, chopping onions, singing to el Dangercat and whatnot, I felt this weird hum beneath the surface. This is good, I thought. I am coming out of my summer funk, I thought, which, in truth Henshaw, has been more of a late winter/spring/summer funk. It was then that I realized that it’s been months. Months. Since the end of winter, that I’ve invited another person into my home. Which is highly ridiculous, since cooking meals for people and breaking the old bread together is one of the things I live for in this world.

Here’s the thing, pointed out in another context by one of the good friends I had over last night: You have to put out there what you hope to get back. You can’t just sit around miserable and hope someone freaking notices. Which sounds all platitudinous, maybe, on the surface, but really: How many of us have ever bitched about not getting real letters in the mail anymore? How long has it been since any of us has sat down and written a real letter to someone?
So, not to get all Amelie on your ass, but still. It’s something to think about, Henshaw. We had a really great time last night. I am thankful for the good people in my life.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home