Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Not a real parent; I just play one with my dog.
Sometimes.

Like a true Atlantan, I spent much of yesterday afternoon in my car – picking up my dog, Otis (see entry below); driving to the woods so he could romp, driving back home, running several errands, getting Otis and driving him back across town to the friend who’s keeping him.

On my final trip home from dropping Otis off and having a beer with friends, I listened to no music. By then it was nearly ten o’clock and I was slightly addled, although a pint of Hoegarden had dulled this sensation some. I drove in silence. If I could have napped, I would have. If I could have driven far, far away, I would have.

I continue to feel like a bad dog-mama. Otis has been ruminating in his crate at our friend’s house and not eating much. When I pick him up in the afternoons, he prances around me like it’s Christmas morning and he’s Tiny Tim and I’ve just handed him a sliver of Roast Beast for his day’s rations.

He’s forgotten a lot of the good manners we taught him. When he visits us, he chases the cat. He runs around inside, tail pumping manically. I follow after him, trying to remember some scrap of what-you’re-supposed to do to stop this, but I am tired. I have been up since before five. I drive him back to our friend’s house.
So many changes for a pup. Good intentions mean nothing in any kind of parenthood.



Like, whoa.
While driving along in the silence last night, I got an old tune in my head – You know, that “doo-lang, doo-lang, doo-lang” song. The song’s actually called “He’s So Fine.”

So I’m sitting at a light, my mind singing to me, “He’s so fiiine...” And then: “Hare Krishnaa...”
Wha-? That’s that Beatles song from Let It Be. Huh?
And then I realized that they’re actually the same song. Same tune. You could splice them together into one pop song/Dark Side of the Moon-style. (Sort of.)

And then, this morning, I was trying to find the name of the Beatles song on ye olde Information Superhighway, (It’s “My Sweet Lord”), and found this.
Who’dathunk.