Friday, January 07, 2005

Little boy blue and the man in the moon
A good mutual friend of Hunter’s and mine offered to keep our dog while Hunter finds a place and gets settled down in Wisconsin. The understanding is that it’ll be about a month, and that I’ll come by as often as possible to take Otis on walks and see how he’s doing.

This week though, it’s worked out so that I have not been able to go get Otis once. It’s been five days now. Every day after work, some pain-in-the-ass thing has come up where I just haven’t been able to go over there—and I feel terrible. All this being a sure sign that my life is just too hectic for a dog, so it’s good that I’m not getting custody of him.

Still, I feel bad. Sorry towards our friend who’s keeping him – who’s also Hunter’s best friend here in Atlanta, and so some perverted part of me really wants to make a good Dog-Mama impression on him. And a good overall impression on him, to override any impressions he got from Hunter in the waning months of our relationship. Both of which make for some really natural and easy-going repartee between us, let me tell you.

And mainly I miss my dog – and I want to build up those good moments with him while I still can, before he follows Hunter to the wintery north. I love that dog so much. Seriously, it's like I'm singing “Cat’s in the Cradle” to him.
We’ll have a good time then, Otis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home