Tuesday, January 04, 2005

A Life of Extremes.
I like living in my house. Yesterday afternoon was all cool and quiet, with housemates dropping off to sleep on various household surfaces. Luckily, the cause was not a gas leak, just an enduring calm. –And on my part, the mean end of a virus that would Not leave without a good fight. So I slept for two and a half hours with strange dreams and Buddy Holly Dangercat by my side, waking occasionally to think sorta vaguely about maybe getting up, and then falling asleep again.

It was good.

Now it’s morning, and how! I’m in the clenches of an alacrity I haven’t felt in weeks – one that stems from one thing only: yes, glorious caffeine.

I cut the coffee last week, in hopes of getting better faster. While coffee is the true inspirator (Causing one to make up words like “inspirator,”) it also rasps at my insides like a parmesan grater when I’m sick. I can feel it stripping the nutrients away, replacing them with its empty clamoring jitter. So anyhoo, I’ve been drinking the green tea handily provided by my workplace.

And green tea has caffeine, though less than black tea, so I thought I’d be fine. But I’ve been feeling like complete nastiness anyway.

And then this morning I realized why: I looked at the green-tea box before putting the teabag in my mug, and whatddaya know: It was decaf.

So I found the other box of green tea – the caffeinated variety, and it’s put me back on top of the planet with all the heart-racing inspirational promise of that rare gift—The First Caffeine after weeks without.

It makes me seriously consider a trip to Mexico this morning. It makes me want to invite my friend who works at the Smoothie Shop down the road, along with my sisters. I’m even thinking about what to pack this time. And we’ll travel on-! Guatemala! El Salvador! Yes! Why be boxed in by the four-walls of my everyday existence when I have a kinship with all I meet? And, further, why stop at one cup of green tea when the world keeps making more? Excuse me, now. I have a world to take on -- but first, a cup to refill.